Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Turning the other cheek on my birthday

No, my birthday was not as horrific as that title may imply. But it does encompass what I have experienced today, and I would like to share it with you both.
First off, let me not neglect to say 'THANK YOU' both for your birthday wishes for me!! I appreciate all the kinds words and cute cute cute pics!!!! I definitely have enjoyed the blogger birthday wishes!!! I had a wonderful birthday! Lon took me out to dinner and ice cream in Downtown Knoxvilles' Market Square and we just took our time walking around, perusing shops, Krutch Park and talking. It was a nice relaxing evening!
Earlier on my birthday, it was not such a great day. I feel as if I learned what it means in scripture to turn the other cheek. Never in my life do I think that I have put so much thought into my words and actions and prayed against the temptation to slander or show anger towards another person when they have done all of those towards me. Over the course these last few weeks, another teacher and I were not seeing eye to eye on an issue and I felt as if this person was saying and doing things that were manipulative and insulting to me and to Lon. I know that it takes a lot for me to get upset, I don't always take a stand for what I think and thus sometimes get taken advantage of. Lon has been talking me through this for weeks, helping me sort out what is wrong and right, push past my emotions to see truth, and encouraging me to stand up for what I think is right. When this disagreement came to a head tuesday morning, I put my foot down and tried unsuccessfully to explain my perspective. At the end of the work day, in return, I got a tongue lashing from this person: insults were hurled at me and towards Lon. I kept my mouth shut, trying to process all that was being yelled at me and not wanting to react in a way that was a result of anger. Once this person left, I immediately started crying and was full of frustration, anger and hurt. I wrote all of my defenses and responses to each of her accusations and insults angrily on paper - I had to get it out before driving home. I spent the rest of the evening crying and talking to Lon. Eventually, I realized that approaching this person the next day and spouting out all that I wrote would not be the best way to resolve this conversation. And even though, she hurt me deeply, it would not help the situation nor would it glorify God if I went to her, angrily yelled back at her my response to her accusations, pointed my finger at her and said something just to 'get back at her'. I had to discern the falsehood from her accusations, justify my position to her, show her how she wronged me and do all of this without anger or slander on my lips and without saying something that would give her an opportunity to be angry with me.
"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God" Matt 5:9
"The reward of humility and the fear of the Lord are riches, honor and life" Prov 22:4
"Charm is decietful and beauty is vain, But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised" Proverbs 31:30
These are verses that Lon shared with me and that I clung to as I thought and prayed about what I would say to her the morning of my birthday. God gave me grace to talk to her without anger, but with strength and humility - although it was very tempting to respond with anger! I thank God that I am a new creation, and that I can cling to him. I thank God that I can experience what it is to 'turn the other cheek' and to be a 'peacemaker', and feel peace in my heart before and after that act occurs, even though it was very hard to do so. In a work environment where work politics and gossip are evident, I am trying my best to not participate, and to be an example of godliness. It would be so much easier to just talk and laugh along with the others. It is hard when there seems to be no immediate reward. But, I know that I can cling to the truth that through these challenges,the Lord sees my hard work, my soul is being refined, I am an example to others - even though it may not be apparent to me now and that one day in heaven my hard work will be complete.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man Sharon!
    I posted a comment on here yesterday after I talked to you and it is not here!
    Bum!
    Pretty much it was what I told you last night.
    It is a humbling thing to walk through a trial such as this.
    A HARD humbling road. But God is so good and so kind!
    And how wonderful God is to bring such verses to your mind and encourage your soul towards Christ likeness.
    It is such a work of God's grace!
    I am very encouraged!

    ReplyDelete