Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Last Book I Read

The last book I read was an excellent piece of good ole' fiction.  It's called "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold and there is a movie out based on this book.  I have been wanting to read a good book since I haven't had the time or energy to pick one up in the last six months.  So I got this one knocked out during feeding sessions with Isaac.  It's pretty good, a quick read.  I thought the author was really creative, and she writes well so it is easy to follow her flow.  Note:  It is rather gory in some parts because it is about a girl who is raped and killed, and then she follows how her family responds to her murder and learn to grow and forgive while she is adjusting to her afterlife in heaven.  It's not at all religious, and the way she describes heaven is…interesting.  I can't say I entirely agree but, hey, it's just fiction.

The next book I want to pick up is a toss-up between the Wealth Inequality Reader (a collection of essays about wealth inequality in this country) or Ambassadors of Reconciliation, a book written by my two great friends in California, Ched Myers and Elaine Enns.  It maps out the intersections in the New Testament between reconciliation and peacemaking.

I know, crazy choices, but I can't wait to read them.  I'll let you know what I think when I finish.  Or if I just ditch those choices and pick up another piece of fiction next.  

1 comment:

  1. Oh!! I heard about that book from another teacher - she loved it and told me to read it... one of my students saw it sitting out in my classroom and told me about how it was gruesome... so i decided to stay away... but your post peaks my interest...

    ReplyDelete