Monday, April 12, 2010

I woke up and I am shocked.

So, I think I know what happened.  Since Easter Sunday, I have been in a bit of shock.  After the kids were in bed and I was hanging out with Tim that evening, I realized that I had two kids and I made a ham for dinner.

I made a beautiful ham, complete with the cloves pushed in all over the place and a homemade brown sugar and orange glaze.  Perfectly juicy, not the least bit dry.  And while making this ham for Easter dinner (one of the BIG dinners of the year, supposedly), I managed to put a baby to sleep, and keep a 3 year old entertained.  Two kids and a ham!  So domestic.  So June Cleaver-ish family.  So shocked and wondering how this happened.

I didn't know I was going to be doing this one day.  I had no idea I would have two children AND be able to make a wonderful ham for dinner on Easter Sunday.  Is that silly?  Only because I had no expectation that this would be the "normal" for me one day, Ms. Feminist/Anti-Establishment/Nonconformist/Fight THE MAN/Activist type.

I think I was shocked because I basically just woke up.  The last three months have been a complete and total haze, with newborn baby, sleeplessness, incessant sickness, being snowed in under 20+ inches of snow, and being stuck in the house during all that time.  Now, all things have been righted (snow is gone, illnesses gone, Isaac is doing better at 3.5 months, and I am sleeping more, YAY!) and it's like I just awakened to this reality of my life now. Much like how Spring has awakened new things to bloom, to experience new life and new things, embracing a new day by raising sleepy buds to the sunshine and opening petals to the long-awaited warmth, I am picking up crying children and soothing them, washing dirty diapers, wiping stinky bottoms and holding sleeping kids while their drool leaves a damp environment all over my chest and shoulders.  Wow!  Do I feel bad that this is my life?  No way, it's so new and I completely love it.

And the ham was very yummy, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment