Thursday, April 15, 2010

Not a Domestic Diva

First off, let me say that your last posts were HI-LAR-I-OUS!  Oh my...I think I laughed out loud on both your posts.  You girls are funny....Sharon, I will be sure to NOT read those books.  And Doris, your Ham making skills far surpass mine.  Send me your ham making directions?
Oh,..that makes me hungry.

So on with my post....
I said this to myself today.  "I am not a Domestic Diva" and I chuckled at the pairing of those two words.
For some reason being a "stay-at-home-mom" people think I preform wonderful and magical things inside my home.  And that all those things make my home tidy, neat, fragrant and clean.
Of course, I would LOVE my home to be all those things..and then some.
But truthfully, they are not! 
Instead here is what happens inside my home.
In the hurry of the day cleanliness and tidiness are usually pushed to the side.
....A side note:  When I say "hurry" I mean happenings which occur that put me in a state of hurry.  Like doing a bee line to take Dean to pee in the toilet because in the middle of changing him I tell him not to pee on me, and he does.  But just a little....  So I am doing that number Sandra Bullock did in "The Proposal" where she is scurrying around holding a puppy in the air.  Except, I am telling Dean to tell his pee pee to not come!  Sharon, that was for you!
And " hurry' also means dashing to save one of the children from being the victim of an unkind act, or wiping  down orange cheese puff fingers before the kids wipe their hand on my WHITE upholstered seats.  Or hurry also means getting ER a tissue because she has snot on her face and she has just told me that she wiped her nose on the carpet instead of getting a tissue...yuk!
....so back to my origianl thought.....
In the "hurry" of the day cleaniliness and tidiness are usually pushed to the side. 
For instance, today I chose to put on my flip flops in the house because bits of food and dirt were sticking to my feet.  I do not have time to sweep, but also I know that if I sweep now, more food WILL drop on the floor after lunch.  So why not wait till then?  And in the hurry of the day, dirty diapers are wrapped up, but never make it to it's intended destination because I am interrupted by another more important matter.  Scrabble pieces are left sprinkled throughout my living room because ER was making words with them, and Dean decided to throw them like confetti.  And so in on our way downstairs for naps I see the destruction but leave the mess because naps are more important right now then being able to complete a succeeful game of Scrabble later in my life. 

There it is folks.  That is what goes on inside my house.  And that is just the tip off the iceberg.
On top of that....I cannot bake anything from scratch but chocolate chip cookies. But that was more out of survival than anything.  Ryan breathes those things in, so we would have be broke if I kept buying cookie dough.
I have never made a Ham, or a Turkey.  Go ahead...gasp if you must!
I do not freeze meals or make home made bread or rolls.
My children are not clean and proper, nor do they sit still when told to.
My bathrooms and floors get cleaned when they need it, or if people are coming over.

So I am not a Domestic Diva.  I say it loud and proud!  I will even wear a button that claims it.
Truthfully, I do not want to be!  June Cleaver and Aunt Bee, away with you!  I will not succumb to such an idea of what a house wife or stay-at-home-mom is suppose to look like!  

Instead, I want to glorify God in all that goes on in the Prince home.   I want joy and peace to permeate our home like the fragrance of freshly baked breads and sweets.  I want training in the ways of God and encouragement to be the speech in our home that radiates from wall to wall instead of cleanliness and the smell of Pine-Sol.  I gladly confess that I have a home where children are being taught to follow Christ and are kept alive through some kind of nourishment.  A home where not a lot of things get done, but we all sure do have a lot of fun!
Where training and tickle fests are sometimes the priority over laundry or dishes.

But I say all of that, and yet at the same time I AM pursuing a home that is better managed, clean and where culinary skills are in training.  My home and meals will never be picture perfect.  In fact I do not want them to be!  But it sure is an adventure trying to learn how to do it all and do it with joy!  The journey is what I love.  The learning, the discovery, the funny stories of disaster....
Oh my what a colorful life I have!
Maybe one day I will serve a Ham as delicious and juicy as yours Doris....sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment